Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dining Room & Living Room

The first thing I did prior to buying the house was pull the carpet in the corners to make sure the decorative wood floors were still there. And they were!! These floors are in the dining room and living room. They are one inch planks of quarter sawn oak with the origional stain.
1915 CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW

After I pulled the carpet, I used Murphy Oil to clean the wood floors that were very dirty. They have not seen the light of day in almost 40 years. After I cleaned them, I used Beeswax to add moisture back to the wood.I'm not sure if the floors were ever polyurithaned or not. If they had a protective coat, it is gone now.
1915 CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW

I was soo mad when I discovered that the colonnades were removed. Basically, there were two colonnades (Bookcases with pillars) on each side of the room separating the living room from the dining room. I will have them custom built in the future.
1915 CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW

This is what the dining room and living room looked like when I first bought the home. In this photo, I was using it as a staging area while I waited for the dumpster to arrive.
1915 CRAFTSMAN BUNGALOW

4 comments:

  1. our first home had those colonades. I loved them. They separated the living room from the parlor. Or they divided the very large living room? Then west of one living room was a nice size dining room. Dining room divided from the kitchen with a (double) swinging door. No, just one door but it swung both ways. 2 small/medium bedrooms in a hall off the dining room. I am nostalgic! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your floors are gorgeous! You are lucky. We have very thin top-nailed floors. I have never understood why someone would removed colonnades; they were taken out of our house too. We were happy to be able to put them back this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe how many similarities I see between your house and ours. Our house used to have colonnades too but they were ripped out in the 30's to open the space up. We have pictures of them. I am so sad that they are gone.

    Even the carpeting when you first moved in reminds me of our house when we bought it. Our trim was even a similar color to yours... Crazy people must think alike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad they were ripped out. I know what you mean.I will make the colonnades again though. Yeah..Our house was changed during the ugly 80's period. I love what you have done with your house.

      Delete